Now you're a councillor

Now you're a councillor

A site for women councillors in Victorian local government

What you need to get the job done

It’s up to your council to decide on the level of support you need to do the job.  Make sure you ask about the council services that are available and use them.

The following list is typical of the assistance which may be provided to councillors:

  • Training on the content and operation of the Meeting Procedure Local Law and Code of Conduct
  • Training on council processes
  • Professional development opportunities, conference allowances
  • Support for communication with your community
  • Access to council vehicles, a car allowance or petrol reimbursement, travel allowance
  • Mobile phone, internet access
  • Tablet, lap top or other electronic tools
  • Carer’s allowance

What about councillor working conditions?

  • Allowances – councillor allowances are set according to the population of the municipality, the Victorian Government sets upper and lower limits for allowances
  • WorkCover – Since 2010, councillors have been covered for work related injuries by WorkCover. The relevant Act is the Accident Compensation Act 1985 (SECT 14AA)
  • Superannuation Guarantee Contribution – councils pay a superannuation contribution on your behalf